Saturday, March 11, 2017

Week 5: A Positive Direction *fingers crossed*

Greetings Everyone!

Honestly, I am surprised that is now Week 5. Gosh! Time has been flying by. But good news for all of you...I think my project is going in a positive direction!! YAY!! 

So what have I done this week??

Good Question! This week I had two main tasks at hand. First, start the testing for the negative predicted value of our questionnaire. Second, call dyslexia centers to use their students for our research. I also had a meeting with my faculty advisor, Ms. Gelblicht!

How'd it go??

I think it went well! I tested our screening tool on three kids who have dyslexia and our tool said it to be positive. But currently, the data is slightly skewed, because the kids have been receiving tutoring for their dyslexia and so they know tricks and tips that help them deal with their dyslexia. To fix this problem, I am going to be talking to a psychologist to use his patient's. The benefit in this will be that when the psychologist diagnoses his patients, he can then give them the screening questionnaire that I have been working on. This way we will remove the variable of how long the patients have been receiving tutoring for dyslexia. 

Dyslexia centers also seem to be interested in the research! So let's see how that goes!


Can't wait to share my progress with you all!

Until next time,
Ritika Gupta:)

5 comments:

  1. It's really cool that you're getting to participate in actual testing! I suppose I've assumed dyslexia was more physical than psychological, so I'm intrigued that I seem to have been wrong. One question, when you're talking to psychologists, do you find that doctor-patient confidentiality stands in the way of your research, or are you able to get what you need without violating it? Hope you keep having fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jack! Well at this point, I have only had contact with one psychologist and I really haven't had a problem with confidentiality because the psychologist first asks permission from the parents. Also, I had to sign a HIPPA regulation form that said that I would not share any patient information with anyone.

      Delete
  2. This is pretty awesome, getting to work with actual kids with dyslexia and using your tool as a test with them sounds very interesting! One question: is it difficult to find psychologists willing to help you in the ways you described above? To me, it sounds like a bit of a challenge, but I could easily be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha honestly at first I thought the same thing, why would psychologists and dyslexia centers want to help me with my research. But I was wrong. They are willing to help and are very supportive. I have been able to get two dyslexia centers to agree to helping me so I am very excited!

      Delete
    2. Testing the tool via comparison to a psychological diagnosis is a great idea for getting an idea about its validity. You also make a great point about how smart and adaptable those who have dyslexia can be, thus demonstrating the value of effective measures.

      Delete